Banana Walnut Coffee Cake
All the flavors of two breakfast favorites – banana bread and coffee cake – in one dreamy dessert! Bananas, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar combine to make a flavorful cake perfect for a sweet treat any time of day.
Crumb filling and topping
- ¾ cup Sprouts Brand Butter, cold
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Sprouts Brand All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Sprouts Brand Organic Vietnamese Cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups Sprouts Brand All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup Sprouts Brand Butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 Sprouts Brand Eggs
- 1 tsp. Sprouts Brand Organic Vanilla
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup Sprouts Brand Sour Cream
Prepare crumb filling/topping
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Then add chopped butter and use a pastry blender or a fork to combine all ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Add chopped walnuts and stir to combine.
- Set aside crumb mixture while you prepare the cake batter.
Prepare cake batter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly butter, then dust with flour a 9×13 baking dish (or spray with cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer), beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and continue to blend. Add very ripe bananas and blend until well combined.
- While mixing, add eggs, then vanilla, milk and sour cream.
- Add flour to mixer and stir until just combined.
- Pour ½ of the cake batter into the prepared pan, and then add a layer of the crumb topping (using a bit less than half of the crumb topping).
- Pour the additional cake batter on top, using an offset spatula to spread as needed.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb topping over the cake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes.
Meet Glory Albin
Baker, Blogger and Photographer at Glorious Treats
Glory is a baker, blogger, wife and mommy who loves sweet and pretty things! You’ll find her baking up delicious recipes, creating fun crafts, and styling gorgeous parties on her site, Glorious Treats.