Brown Butter Sage Butternut Squash Soup with Scallops
Less than 10 ingredients, dairy-free and easily blended – this Brown Butter Sage Butternut Squash Soup with Scallops is the perfect healthy winter soup.
- 4 cups Sprouts Brand Butternut Squash, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. Sprouts Brand Olive Oil
- 6 Tbsp. vegan buttery spread
- 15-20 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can Sprouts Brand Light Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 lb. (10-15) Fresh Scallops from Sprouts Fish Market
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprouts Multigrain Baguette (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Toss your cubed butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay flat on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, tossing once.
- When your squash has a few minutes left in the oven, begin to heat your vegan buttery spread in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Stir the butter as it begins to brown, this will take a couple of minutes.
- Once the butter turns a nice golden brown color and smells nutty, add in the minced garlic and chopped sage. Stir for 30 second or so, until the garlic is golden and the sage is wilted. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
- When your squash is baked, add it to your blender along with ¾ of your garlic sage brown butter. (This might hiss when you add it in – don’t worry.) Pour in a can of light coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and a dash of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Check the temperature of your blended soup. If your soup needs to be warmed before serving, add it into a pot onto the stove over medium-low heat until it’s your perfect eating temperature.
- Meanwhile, return to your pan with garlic sage brown butter and heat it over low heat. Add in your scallops, along with a dash of salt and pepper. Cook each side for 1-2 minutes, until the scallops are solid white and tender.
- Add your scallops to the bottom of your bowls, pour your heated soup on top and EAT UP.
Meet Haley Hunt Davis
Recipe Developer, Photographer, Human Being
Haley Hunt Davis is the voice behind Brewing Happiness, a food blog dedicated to celebrating healthier choices. Haley makes “health-ified” versions of everyone’s favorite foods, like pizza and chicken nuggets, as well as suggestions for how to make every dish fit one’s lifestyle. For more from Haley, follow her on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.