Loaded Chai Caramel Popcorn
Chai spice gives this caramel popcorn an interesting twist! Plus, you’ll love the shredded coconut, chopped pecans and chewy bits of dried apple.
- 1/2 cups un-popped organic popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cups coconut oil (or butter)
- 2/3 cups coconut sugar
- 1/4 cups soft coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp. Homemade Chai Spice (see *Note)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup chopped raw, unsalted pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped unsweetened dried apple rings
- *Note: Homemade Chai Spice — Combine 1 Tbsp. cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves, 1 tsp. ground cardamom, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1/2 tsp. ground coriander, 1/8 tsp. white pepper, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix thoroughly and store in an air tight jar.
- Pop the popcorn in an air popper according to the manufacturer’s instructions into a very large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the sugar and cook until the oil starts to bubble a little around the edges. Add the coconut cream (it will sizzle a lot) and whisk quickly until the entire mixture becomes smooth and no longer grainy. Stir in the chai spice, cinnamon and sea salt. Set the caramel sauce aside.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, add the pecans and the coconut. Toss it around frequently until the coconut is golden brown and the nuts are toasted. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the popcorn in a thin stream. Add the coconut, pecans and chopped apple rings. Stir well until the caramel sauce is spread around the popcorn.
Meet Natalie Perry
Mom, Author, Blogger, Netflixer
Natalie is a mom of four and lives in Northern Nevada with her family. She has been blogging for nine years at Perry’s Plate where she shares mostly gluten-free and paleo recipes. Natalie refers to her first cookbook, which will be released in summer of 2017, as her 5th child. When Natalie’s not in the kitchen, she loves to sew and take day trips to Lake Tahoe with her family.